Thursday, November 15, 2007

Leaves







Yesterday, I took my camera along on my walk with friends. A brief shower overnight left the streets damp and the sun didn't come up over the mountain until our walk was nearly over.















Fall colors are very late in arriving to our mountains this
year.
Yesterday afternoon, my husband and I went on a leaf drive.
Some of the prettiest spots were very quiet places with not another car on the road.





Off the interstate, just a few minutes into the hills we came upon this tobacco barn; it's filled with drying leaves, hanging upside down. It is open on all sides for the air to move through.






Across the street from this tidy stone church is a little stream; really beautiful right now.









We drove back into the Pisgah National Forest. My husband loves to fish; he ties flies in the winter while he watches sports. He often fishes in areas designated as catch and release; that is, he returns the native, brown, and rainbow trout he catches, unharmed, to the rivers.

I love the interesting things one can find when exploring the underbrush, boulders, pools.
Deep in the forest, a haze partially obscured the far mountains. These straight tall trees are tulip (or yellow) poplars.
We enjoyed our peaceful afternoon drive. Even a brief respite like this one is enough to reset our compass, enough to remind us of what is good and true, and some of what we can be thankful for.
Beth

3 comments:

Susan (ZenKnit) said...

Beautiful photos. I just love this time of year.

Corinne said...

OMG - you live here!! The scenery is beautiful, the pictures are gorgeous. I am from NY, but now live in San Diego. Don't get me wrong, the view is always beautiful here, but your pictures left me wanting to come and visit!!

Linda said...

Our trees are bare and we have had our first ice/snow storm of the season.
Beautiful scenery in your part of the world.