This is what I am talking about with the intarsia - I suppose it's more aptly called stranded knitting - in the garter stitch of this cotton log cabin. I know now I should have selected lettering that was very plain with straight lines. (I'm sorry the pic is out of focus.)However, I didn't.
The other thing posing a problem is the fact that the next row here will be red. When I pick up stitches, I will be using red. Should I be picking up with both colors? Which ones will show?
Additionally, I have to make other stripes all around the blanket before I get back to the red one here; in other words, log cabin stripes are done in the proper sequence. So there is a bit of knitting to do before I can learn how this lettering is going to come out. I am up for the challenge. There will be lots of un-doing if it doesn't work.
The alternative, as I see it now, is duplicate stitching. That is probably what I should have done in the first place. Not that I know how yet, but I am sure I can learn. Anyway, at this point, anything can happen! I will try to keep you posted. Meanwhile, thanks for your input! I sure could use a mentor about now!
Addendum: Here I am on Friday, and I have managed to get the name in. I have learned a lot! Mainly, that it is possible. (This kid isn't going to care that this isn't perfect!) Next time, I will know that each blue purl needs the knit on the other side, and vice versa. I am hopeful that the knitting of the white stripe at the bottom of this name stripe and washing and blocking will help those stripes with the name resume a size and shape more nearly matching the others. I will keep you posted.
This is the picked up stitches row, above. You can see below how wide the red stripe has become with the stranded letters.
Below is a close-up of the letters and all that is wrong is evident. But, I think that if I give this to a kid just under three, on the 4th of July, he's not going to care!